Jefferson Community Health & Life Radiology is excited to offer Genius ™ 3D Mammography™ exams, developed by Hologic, Inc., a worldwide leader in Women’s Health. Utilizing advanced breast tomosynthesis technology, Genius exams are clinically proven to significantly increase the detection of breast cancers, and also decreasing the number of women asked to return for additional testing.1-7
In addition, the new mammography equipment features Hologic’s SmartCurve system, which features a proprietary curved surface that mirrors the shape of a woman’s breast to reduce pinching and allow better distribution of force over the entire breast. In a recent clinical study comparing the SmartCurve breast stabilization system to traditional flat paddle compression, the SmartCurve system improved comfort in 93 percent of women who reported moderate to severe discomfort with standard compression.8 In addition, 95 percent of those surveyed would recommend facilities that use the system.9
Jefferson Community Health & Life is committed to the health and wellness of our area residents, and to the fight against breast cancer.
“Our board of directions, medical providers and staff are all committed to inspiring healthy living by providing exceptional health and life services. 3D Mammography was the next step for us to provide the best in breast health for our area residents,” said Chad Jurgens, JCH&L CEO.
In conventional 2D Mammography, overlapping tissue is a leading reason why small breast cancers may be missed and normal tissue may appear abnormal, leading to unnecessary callbacks. A Genius exam includes a three-dimensional method of imaging that can greatly reduce the tissue overlap effect.
A Genius exam includes both 2D images and tomosynthesis scans. During the tomosunthesis DIMENSIONAL portion of the scan, an X-ray arm sweeps in a slight arc over the breast, taking multiple images. A computer then converts the images into a stack of thin layers, allowing the radiologist to review the breast tissue one layer at a time. A Genius exam requires no additional compression and takes just a few seconds longer than a conventional 2D breast cancer screening exam.
Hologic’s Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam are revolutionizing how breast cancer is detected by providing a better option for women of all breast densities compared to 2D alone.
“This system provides both 2D and 3D images, giving our radiologists the best information possible for cancer detection for women of all breast types. We are pleased that this service will be available to all women, including those who take advantage of our designated Women’s Health Days,” said Nikole Marshman, radiology manager. “The SmartCurve system has also increased comfort, which is important in encouraging women to have mammograms as recommended by their health care provider.”
Women’s Health Days are a convenient way for women to get their annual physical exam, screening mammogram, and lab tests, in addition to pampering and free breakfast. They are scheduled on select Tuesdays and Thursdays each month. All major insurance plans are accepted.
For more information on scheduling your Women’s Health Day Experience or your mammogram, contact JCH&L radiology at 402-729-6841.
The Genius™ 3D Mammography™ (a.k.a. Genius™ exam) is acquired on the Hologic® 3D Mammography™ system and consists of a 2D and 3D™ image set, where the 2D image can be either an acquired 2D image or a 2D image generated from the 3D™ image set. The Genius™ exam is only available on the Hologic 3D Mammography™ system.
1) FDA submissions P080003, P080003/S001, P080003/S004, P080003/S005
2) Friedewald SM, Rafferty EA, Rose SL, et al. Breast cancer screening using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography. JAMA. 2014 Jun 25;311(24):2499-507.
3) Results from Friedewald, SM, et al. “Breast cancer screening using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography.” JAMA 311.24 (2014): 2499 2507; a multi-site (13), non-randomized, historical control study of 454,000 screening mammograms investigating the initial impact the introduction of the Hologic Selenia® Dimensions ® on screening outcomes. Individual results may vary. The study found an average 41% (95% CI: 20-65%) increase and that 1.2 (95% CI: 0.8-1.6) additional invasive breast cancers per 1000 screening exams were found in women receiving combined 2D FFDM and 3D™ mammograms acquired with the Hologic 3D Mammography™ System versus women receiving 2D FFDM mammograms only.
4) Bernardi D, Macaskill P, Pellegrini M, et. al. Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis (3D mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM-2): a population-based prospective study. Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug;17(8):1105-13.
5) Bernardi D, Macaskill P, Pellegrini M, et. al. Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis(3D mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM-2): a population-based prospective study. Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug;17(8):1105-13.
6) McDonald ES, Oustimov A, Weinstein SP, et al. Effectiveness of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Compared With Digital Mammography: Outcomes Analysis From 3 Years of Breast Cancer Screening. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Jun 1;2(6):737-43.
7) Rafferty EA, Durand MA, Conant EF, et al Breast Cancer Screening Using Tomosynthesis and Digital Mammography in Dense and Nondense Breasts. JAMA. 2016 Apr 26;315(16):1784-6.
8 Smith, A. Improving Patient Comfort in Mammography. Hologic WP-00119 Rev 003 (2017).
9 Data on file and from public sources, 2017